Morning Peace

Morning  Peace

7/6/23

New Rules for An Old Fat Man

 

Adventure Location: Decatur, Alabama

Date: July 6, 2023



A big surprise happened today. The walk got started today about 0830 with the planned route the easy one past the dumpsters and then along the shady path next to the golf course and then take a right and walk the maintenance road around the end of the golf course to the turnaround spot and retrace our steps back to the Castle. 2.25 miles mostly shaded. It has been done many times over the last 12 years and is very enjoyable.

It was a warm day of about 85F with a bit of breeze caressing the OFM. The humidity was high but overall a decent feeling day.

We were mostly in the shade of the trees but we could feel the sun building the heat slowly. Our pace was careful but brisk. When we got to the right turn to start down the maintenance road the OFM stopped and looked down the road at the quarter mile of open bright sun to negotiate before we got into shade again, the OFM stopped and took another slug of water. Looked at the hot strip of road and decided that NO we are heading back to the Castle while the part of the path we had just traveled was still shady. He took another shot of water and thought I am drinking a lot of water today.

We headed back and the OFM noticed he was not at his best and slowed the pace a little. The slight breeze feels good he thought. When we got back to the campground entrance the OFM was not feeling any better or worse than at the turn around. We then went straight to the air conditioned Castle to cool off a bit before a shower.

As it turns out our cool down and recovery took about two hours. While sitting there we noticed the mild symptoms of getting too hot. The OFM has had four heat strokes in his past. Three in Texas and one in Viet Nam. We are pretty sure that the aging of the OFM was at least partly the cause of this mild session of heat exhaustion. The symptoms had changed somewhat from when he was thirty years younger and the last one happened. Now we have had a great re-education on what we can handle and what to pay attention to look for. So friends please be extra careful with the heat, humidity and cooling breezes when you are out trying to have tooooo much fun.



7 comments:

  1. Are you taking some extra salt with your water to prevent heat stroke. Add a half teaspoon or a teaspoon to your water and see if that helps. Salt is important to prevent heat stroke and to limit cramps too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the reminder Barney. After reading what you said I think I was experiencing something very similar after riding my bike 14 miles between 1:34 and 2:35pm on Wednesday ... I told myself I would never do that again during those times in July and August. By the time I got back to my car I knew I wasn't feeling like I normally do and was concerned. Bob ... I will follow your recommendation and add that to my water bottles, although I get enough salt on my meals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like I am in a learning process of how to live as a person who is having to learn a new lifestyle because of aging. I will be 77 in August. and this last year a lot of my motor control skills have dwindled noticeably.

      Delete
    2. Life never stops throwing us curveballs it seems.

      Delete