5/31/22

Great Neighbor

 

Adventure Location: Rockport, Texas

Today's Date: 5-31-2022



When the OFM awoke this morning his mind was already working on solutions to the already to serious migraine trouble. He was trying to recall the troubles of the last few weeks and whatever else he could think of since things were certainly not going right but had a familiar feeling. Right after breakfast he had a sudden flash of memory and checked when the next eye prescription was likely due.

We are three months late. For the last few years we went to the eye doc right after we went to grandkid land in early spring. For most of his glasses wearing life the OFM has started the bad migraines about the time he is needing a new set of glasses, especially on his left eye. As of today he is about three months late and finally remembered the symptom. The meaner and meaner migraine attacks are typical of the previous part of his life if the exam is put off too long. Well yesterday was a real mean one for sure.



So when the doctor office opened this morning there was the OFM waiting to get an appointment. The doctor reasonably asked the right questions and agreed that a very soon bit of eye work needs to be done. And soon for us is Thursday morning first person in the office.

The OFM must be getting dumber since this is typical of his migraine troubles for over thirty years when it is time for new glasses prescription and he had forgotten.



Now for a wonderful event. A few minutes after we got back to the campsite and were settling in at the window to check computer messages, a very polite knock happens at the door. It is my neighbor from across the street and down a couple of doors. We gave him a big HOWDY and a Come on in. He had noticed that Sierra had seemingly not moved this morning he thought. To us it is fantastic and wonderful that he is paying enough attention to folks here to notice if they are still alive. About a third of the campground are older folks(like the OFM) who live alone and have no people to check on them to see if they are still alive and well or sick and in a bad way for medical help. Well Scott could not tell Sierra had been moved this morning so he came on over to check for medical need. That is a wonderful thing to do as far as we are concerned and puts Scott way up our list of good people to appreciate here on earth.

8 comments:

  1. First thing in the morning, a friend and I exchange emails....if neither of us has heard from the other after an hour or so, more emails, or phone calls if the internet is down for some reason, follow. She's living in Mexico, but I have contact numbers for her friends down there. And since she's from here, she knows how to contact my friends. And I have a good friend who has started doing something like that with a friend as well....they just call it A&W emails. They may not say anything else or write much of a note, but at least someone's been notified they are Alive and Well. Maybe you could set that up with someone....I'm sure you've got blog readers, including me, who would be glad to do an A&W thing. (I don't like root beer, but I sure used to like A&W burgers.)
    Scott seems like a really nice guy.
    Glad you snapped to on the migraines/eyeglass prescription thing. A duh moment, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. major DUH but I am learning to expect that now and then.

      Delete
  2. God bless that neighbor. I have only met you once in person, and I worry about you! I would be glad to exchange an email each day if you want to Barney...and if not, I will just keep checking to make sure you are blogging...almost daily.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the offer. I am going to check around the campgrounds to see if there are options with local folks.

      Delete
    2. Okay, but I will keep checking your blog to make sure too.

      Delete
  3. Glad you made the Migraine/Eye Connection. That will go a long way towards having Tooooo much fun.
    Be Safe and Enjoy being on someone's A&W List.

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. With gmail I can schedule when I want a message sent, I'll do that from time to time as a reminder to myself. I don't recall doing it a year in advance but it might be worth a try....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you but hold back bit yet while I have a few considerations with my son about some things.

      Delete