header pic

header pic
Morning Sun on the Water, Rockport, Texas

6/29/17

Bad and Badder

Adventure Location: Rockport, Texas

The OFM has been slopping watercolor around again. Then he pushed some oil pastel around again. These are the same scene with major errors of performance in each one. Both are terrible but both were lots of fun to paint. Both were done on cheap Walmart art paper. Both were done with cheap Walmart paints from Daler Rowney. These are nearly the worst art paint that can be purchased but both are likely much better paints than the OFM is as an artist. But the price is right for a fool fooling around.
Here is the watercolor effort.


And here is the oil pastel effort.



The Teams will pit the OFM up against any other painter when it comes to trying to have tooooo much fun.

11 comments:

  1. Interesting, it appears you can get finer details with the oils than the watercolors. Must admit, I know next to nothing about painting so I find what you and Gypsy show us intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Because it makes a big difference, those are oil pastels not oil paint. They are like large soft crayons that you smear around with your finger or other items. Oil paints dry and oil pastels never dry.

      Delete
  2. I like the oil pastel effect. Never even knew there was such a paint.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like them both the first a full bodied tree the next a different tree entirely and you also added some birds. Creating things is all about having to much fun

    ReplyDelete
  4. First one..."the green blob that ate Baytown"...just kidding.
    Much better than I could ever do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fun is way more important than perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like both but the oil pastels are really striking! I think I haven't tried them yet because I don't like to get my fingers dirty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The oil in oil pastels is mineral oil also known as baby oil. It washes off incredibly easily. I tend to wrap the crayon with a paper napkin (thank you hamburger joints) and then use the same napkin to smear the color around. They are turning out to be a blast to play with. I love the immediacy of it and lack of much clean up. Acrylic, water color and oil paints take a lot of clean up compared to oil pastel. You can also work while wearing those thin plastic gloves sold at Walmart.

      Delete