header pic

header pic
Wild Rose Pass, Texas

3/8/17

Window Winder Wreck

Adventure Location: Del Rio, Texas

A couple of months ago a window winder broke on one of the two kitchen jalousie style windows. We ordered and received two winders. One for the repair and one for later repair if required. Getting in a hurry for the nasty little job of replacing the winder was not required since the adjacent window was working just fine.

Without any warning that adjacent window winder failed a couple of days ago. With neither window working the Castle could not get flow through breeze and we are having a few warm days lately. That nasty little job needed to be done and was finally accomplished by the OFM. He has done the repair before and knows he has the wrong hands for the job.

The job would be very easy for someone with long slender and strong fingers with no sign of arthritis in the hands. The OFM has short stubby fingers with arthritis and wears trifocal glasses that are not the optimum tool for closeup work in difficult positions. The winder is located above the sink and stove top just so the repair person can practice their contortionist moves.

The OFM did his usual careful logical approach to a repair project and grabbed his short handled 3 pound sledge and the heavy duty diagonal wire cutters and beat the living dickens out of the winder and window until it came apart. The failed winder came right out after that vigorous effort of vengeance. That left us with the knowledge that the OFM had been cranking down on the closer way two hard. He has caused the two raised spots to shear off of the operator.



Now it was a mild task for strong slender fingers to fit the new winder in place. You may recall our description of the OFM fingers was not strong slender. So he pushed and prodded gently and then firmer. The new winder slipped into place. Wow that was nice.

Now all that was require was to fit three screws up into their mounting holes. The available room was about half the width of the OFM fingers so he had to try to hold needle nose pliers in one hand to fit the screw into it hole while occupying the same location with the screwdriver at the same time as standing on his head looking out the corner of where two lenses come together in his glasses. We are certain there are many glasses wearers that can well understand what we are trying to describe.

After two eternities of attempts the OFM managed to throw each screw at the proper mounting hole and get the screw to stick long enough to get the screwdriver on the screw by feel since his hand blocked all sight of the screw. From that point it was a simple tightening of the screw with arthritic hands screaming in pain. No problem he is used to it now.

This next picture after the winder is installed will give you an idea of all the estra room we had available.



And here is the new winder in place and looking pretty. It is also giggling at all the “fun” it caused the OFM.



We hope that you have enjoyed reading about how the OFM managed to try having tooooo much fun yesterday afternoon.

10 comments:

  1. Thank you for explanation and pictures!!!

    I have replaced 5 cranks in motorhome and they are still slipping ....will try what you did when the weather warms up.

    Andrea in Minnesota

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Andrea. It is nice to hear from you again.

      Delete
  2. I have replaces a few of those a long time ago when my hands were free of the horrible arthritis. Did you ever consider buying a pair of readers from the dollar store for these kinds of jobs? For $1. it can't hurt, My eye Dr told me to buy them instead of paying for prescriptions.

    Love the header picture

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep. I can't get readers with the large astigmatism correction I need. Without it I have almost instant migraine attacks. Thanks for the suggestion.

      Delete
  3. I have jalousie windows with half the winders missing. I cannot express how much I detest those kinds of windows! Like you, I no longer have the strength in my fingers to turn things or fix anything like that, and it's a fact I can't see. I will be very glad if I get new windows for my home and forget all that stuff - just slide the window to open it!

    Jo likes your header photo, but I feel like I'm getting stuck with a thorn every time I look at it. Different perspective!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Barney, I am on the upswing.......Life got in the way for awhile and I was very discouraged.

    Andrea in Minnesota

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a pair of over the counter reading glasses I use when I am working. easier than trying to crank my head at an off ward angle to see through my bifocals.
    the ol'Buzzard

    ReplyDelete
  6. You reminded me of my Dave sitting on the floor with his glasses on upside down working on the bottom side of a counter top. Isn't aging fun?!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice you order two, most things are made to be hard to replace. Good work.

    ReplyDelete